Applicants With Overseas Degrees
If you have been awarded a degree from outside the UK, please read the following information and follow the steps listed below to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
To determine the equivalency of your overseas degree to that of a UK degree with honours, you are required to submit a UK ENIC statement of comparability as part of your application for a Maths Scholarship. A UK ENIC statement of comparability can either be obtained from UK ENIC directly, or free of charge from the Get into Teaching line once you have submitted your application for initial teacher training and if required by your provider.
The Maths Scholarships Team will request this statement from you by email after you have submitted your application for a Maths Scholarship. If you submit your application to the Maths Scholarships Team before obtaining a UK ENIC statement of comparability, then your application will be put on hold until you are able to send it to us.
Degree Classification Equivalency
The final decision if your degree classification meets the minimum requirements for a teaching training course lies with the schools and universities you would like to train with.
To determine if your degree classification is equivalent to a minimum of a 2:2 UK degree classification for the purposes of your application for a Maths Scholarship, please contact the Get into Teaching line. Please note that the information provided by Get into Teaching is advice only, and this should not be used as absolute confirmation.
If you submit your application to the Maths Scholarships Team before obtaining the equivalent UK degree classification from Get into Teaching, then your application will be put on hold until you are able to confirm this information.
Get into Teaching line
The Get into Teaching line is 0800 389 2500 from the UK.
Application for a Maths Scholarship
When completing your application for Maths Scholarship, in the First Degree section, please ensure that you do the following:
1. For the ‘Degree type’, select the type of UK degree that your overseas degree is equivalent to.
2. In the ‘Degree name’ section, put the full name of your overseas degree as it was awarded to you, i.e. Laurea in Matematica.
3. For the degree classification, select either ‘Other (non UK)’ if you have already graduated from your overseas degree, or ‘Expected Other (non UK)’ if you are due to graduate in the current UK academic year.
4. In the ‘If other, please specify’ section that has now appeared from selecting either ‘Other (non UK)’ or ‘Expected Other (non UK)’, please enter your overseas degree classification (do not put the UK equivalent).
5. In the ‘Additional Information’ text box, please put the English translation of your overseas degree name, the equivalent UK degree classification Get into Teaching has advised you that your overseas degree classification is equivalent to. Also add any additional supporting information you believe to be relevant.
If Awarded a Maths Scholarship
If an applicant with an overseas degree is awarded a Maths Scholarship, the award is on condition that your ITT provider considers your overseas degree to meet their requirements. If your ITT provider considers that your overseas degree qualifications does not meet their requirements, the offer of the Maths Scholarships will be withdrawn.
We will require official confirmation from your ITT provider that they have deemed your overseas degree qualifications to be suitable for their ITT course. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that this happens. Similarly, if an ITT provider deems your overseas degree qualifications to be unsuitable at any point in the application process, then the applicant will need to advise the Maths Scholarship Team.